Cutting Guide and Tips





Is it normal for moms (like me) to go cray cray on party planning?! Or that's just me?! We spend days and hours planning a big event for a family member or our kids especially and go on gaga about it. Then, sometimes even with all the planning and budgeting we'd end up thinking "ohhhh wait up wait up, I am waaay beyond budget." So, we would end up making DIYs and all that we can possibly do by ourselves. I believe, invitations are one of those who ends up in the DIY department together with the decorations righhht? So don't worry you DIYers like me out there especially the first timers out there, here are some tips on how I cut my invitations and printables.


First up! My POWER TOOLS!
(From upper left down to right)
1. A pair of reliable scissors
2. Non-stick craft precision scissors
3. A cutter
4. Craft knife or my ever favorite X-acto knife
5. Stainless steel ruler
6. Cutting mat
(the green worn-out thing in the background)
All of the above items 1-4 has the same purpose which is of course is to 'cut' but each has its own specialty, well, that's just for me (I think...!). Anyway, let's have a sample here.

I have designed a Circus Themed invitation in my shop and this below is the matching tent card, this will be our sample project.


Now for this project, I decided to use my X-acto knife and my ever reliable stainless ruler and my cutting mat of course.

Tip 1. I use a steel ruler, I've had past experiences using acrylic or plastic rulers and they'd always get sliced accidentally with the craft knife (x-acto knives are kinda very sharp so be careful when using them). They can get easily scraped, sliced and diced with sharp cutters and knife. So these are not good to have around when kids can access your tools.

All of my invitations and cards have cutting guides on them. These are very useful when cutting.

 1. Place your steel ruler atop the card make sure that it is aligned with the other end of the cutting line/guide in the card. Then you can start cutting. REMEMBER: DO NOT begin cutting from the edge of the paper, just somewhere above the cutting line/guide.

2. Cut the other 2 remaining sides of the card/invitation doing the same technique. Always do not slice through the edges. So why I do this? To avoid losing your cutting lines or guide lines. Then, when you take off the sliced portion, you see a part of the design trimmed off (see #2 image) you call that a bleed, the design is extended so you won't see peeking white edges on your invitation/card/image when it is cut.


3. At this time, there is one remaining side of the design that is still attached (not yet sliced or cut) to the whole sheet. To continue cutting, make sure everything is still aligned and flat into the cutting mat, then cut or slice the middle part using the middle cutting guide/line.

4. Now, you're able to get once piece from the two cards leaving the other still attached on the printed sheet.

5. Now you will be able to cut the remaining card on the sheet without a sweat. The cutting guide still in place. So it's important that you REMEMBER to cut only on three sides first, 1 short side and 2 long sides without cutting through the edge of the paper.

6. Two cards neatly cut, leaving the original printed sheet looking like a frame.

7. Now I need my non stick precision scissors. I use this for items with lots of curved or small curves to cut. 

8. A fully cut food tent card.

9. Here's an additional tip, for you to achieve a neatly folded card. You may actually do this even before cutting when all the cutting lines and fold lines are still attached. However for this item, since there are points I can use as guide, I chose to do it on the latter part. You can either turn over the card or you may do it in front too (JUST MAKE SURE YOU DO IT CAREFULLY). Then by using the back of the knife blade or the back of a cutter blade or using a ink-less pen point, score the card GENTLY, just so you get a perfect line or mark guide where you can fold it. Remember you are not cutting, just making a straight line mark so be gentle. For beginners, I suggest using an ink-less pen point. 

Tadaaa!!!! Now I have my neatly cut and folded food tent card!

Find these food tent cards here!